Windows Server 2003 x64 Enterprise Edition

I managed to install Windows Server 2003, Enterprise x64 Edition (64-bit) trial on my Shuttle SB81P. The only component that wasn't recognized natively was the BCM5751
NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet Controller for Desktops
. I used the Windows Server 2003 (AMD x86-64) driver to get the NIC working. I'm lucky my FreeBSD dmesg output recognized this NIC accurately:

bge0: mem 0xd0000000-0xd000ffff irq 16 at device 0.0 on pci1
miibus0: on bge0
brgphy0: on miibus0
brgphy0: 10baseT, 10baseT-FDX, 100baseTX, 100baseTX-FDX, 1000baseTX, 1000baseTX-FDX, auto
bge0: Ethernet address: 00:30:1b:b6:96:75

The first time I booted Windows, I saw this message:



This was an interesting take on the idea of host-centric security. Microsoft could have started with no listening services, and let an administrator decide what to enable. Instead, Microsoft starts services by default, but blocks remote access to them until they are patched. This is a step in the right direction, but I am not happy with the underlying security model.

I decided to apply patches, after which I got this report:



This reminded me of the sign that said "Abandon all hope, ye who enter." At least that message should have had a red X or similar!

I installed IIS and then a 15-day trial version of VMWare GSX Server 3.2. I managed to install a FreeBSD 5.4 guest OS using 4 GB of HDD and 64 MB of RAM. I plan to push this box to see how many concurrent guests it can accommodate.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Zeek in Action Videos

New Book! The Best of TaoSecurity Blog, Volume 4

MITRE ATT&CK Tactics Are Not Tactics