Metasploit 3 on FreeBSD

I've wanted to try Metasploit 3 since it was released in late March. I noticed the metasploit/devel FreeBSD port, but it wanted me to install framework-3.0-beta-3-svn.tar.gz. I decided to install Metasploit 3 (gold) manually, using the FreeBSD port dependencies for guidance.

I installed the following via the ports tree:

  • devel/subversion

  • devel/ruby-gems

  • databases/rubygem-activerecord

  • lang/ruby18


Then I extracted the framework-3.0.tar.gz I downloaded to /usr/local/src.

When I tried to run msfweb, I got this error:

Cannot find gem for Rails ~> 1.2.2.0:
Install the missing gem with “gem install - v=1.2.2 rails”,
or change environment.rb to define RAILS_GEM_VERSION with
your desired version.

Hmm. First I decided I needed to install www/rubygem-rails, which I did. Next I looked in framework-3.0/data/msfweb/config and found environment.rb, with these lines which I added to specify 1.2.3 instead of 1.2.2:

# Specifies gem version of Rails to use when vendor/rails is not present
#RAILS_GEM_VERSION = '1.2.2' unless defined? RAILS_GEM_VERSION
RAILS_GEM_VERSION = '1.2.3' unless defined? RAILS_GEM_VERSION

Next I started msfweb and told it to bind to an IP I could reach.

neely-bsd:/usr/local/src/framework-3.0# ruby ./msfweb -a 192.168.2.9

[*] Starting msfweb v3.0 on http://192.168.2.9:55555/

=> Booting WEBrick...
=> Rails application started on http://192.168.2.9:55555
=> Ctrl-C to shutdown server; call with --help for options

When I connected to the specified IP and port with a Web browser, I was able to exploit a demo Windows target without issue. The new interface is slick. It looks like most of the evasion options are for layer 4 and higher.

Comments

Anonymous said…
if you download the dev source there are some nifty new skins for it too!
Anonymous said…
Any particular reason for moving it's code base to Ruby instead of Perl?
Unknown said…
I had to add:
ln -s /usr/local/bin/ruby /usr/bin/ruby
Anonymous said…
From Perl to Ruby? Check out the Developer's Guide...

"The Ruby programming language was selected over other choices, such as python, perl, and C++ for quite a few reasons. The first (and primary) reason that Ruby was selected was because it was a language that the Metasploit staff enjoyed writing in. After spending time analyzing other languages and factoring in past experiences, the Ruby programming language was found to offer both a simple and powerful approach to an interpreted language. The degree of introspection and the object-oriented aspects provided by Ruby were something that fit very nicely with some of the requirements of the framework."

Those darn requirements. What to think...someone actually wrote an application against a set of requirements...so taboo :-).
Anonymous said…
These instructions also work on OS X using "port". Thanks!

Popular posts from this blog

Zeek in Action Videos

New Book! The Best of TaoSecurity Blog, Volume 4

MITRE ATT&CK Tactics Are Not Tactics